Top Ten Ethical Beauty Products for Summer 2019
Words by Philomena Pyne
Can ethical beauty tick all the boxes? Organic, natural, cruelty-free, vegan, palm oil-free, halal, ethically sourced and plastic-free packaging? This is a question I’ve asked myself in the last couple of years and as a makeup artist in the fashion industry these are all things I deeply care about. For both my personal and professional use it is my priority to make sure that the products I use contain natural and organic ingredients, that they have been sourced sustainably and also that packaging is environmentally friendly.
It’s not enough if a moisturiser ticks the vegan and cruelty-free box, because for me ethical beauty is also about avoiding petri-chemicals, parabens and other nasties whilst being kinder to the planet. But rather than focusing on the things to avoid, it does make the journey to ethical beauty a little more enjoyable and fun when we reach for products that contain ingredients that are beneficial to our skin and we know we love.
Here are the top ten ethical beauty products to reach for this summer. Products that will leave us feeling fresh and ready for sunny adventures and what’s more, they won't cost the earth.
1. Summer beauty trends always boil down to the same key words: effortless beauty and glowing from the inside out. Adding an aloe vera plant to both your botanical bedroom collection and beauty regime makes for a good start to getting that much desired summer glow. The benefits of aloe vera for skin are countless according to dermatologists. The all natural gel serves multiple purposes and can help fight acne, prevent dark spots and even slow down the signs of ageing. Cut off one of the stems and keep it refrigerated, ready to use for hair masks, face masks, after-sun and...drumroll please, your festival face.
2. A little aloe vera goes a long way in helping your biodegradable glitter from Glitterlution last all day and if you’re up for it - all night long too.
3. Let’s face it, little miss sunshine has been shy this year. If you’re in need of a cheeky little tan from the (glass) bottle you can count on the new fake tanning brand - The Isle of Paradise. The tanning drops are packed with organic actives; avocado, chia seed and coconut oils.
4. Adding a couple of self tanning drops to By Sarah’s body oil blend will do just the trick. The vegan award winning body oil absorbs quickly into the skin. It’s also fragrance-free and provides long lasting nourishment. The likes of certified-organic sweet almond oil apricot oil, jojoba oil and Vitamin E promise soft and nourished skin all day long. And dare I say it, finally a brand which lists ingredients we actually understand. Farewell to the long and complicated technical jargon on ingredient lists that nobody bar scientists really understand. By Sarah is a skincare range that supports organic farming communities who work hard to protect the integrity of our soil so that we can enjoy nutrient-rich food and skincare. What’s not to love about a brand that cares about a lot more than just its profit margins?
5. Exfoliation is key to smooth skin and an even skin tone. Evolve’s Tropical Blossom Body Polish comes in a recycled glass pot and contains fine particles of organic sugar to buff skin to smooth as well as key organic ingredients that include antioxidant properties: Tahitian Manoi ‘The sacred oil of Polynesians’ and Sweet almond oil. Smothering and massaging our legs with this formula almost sounds quite meditative.
6. Less is more during the hotter months, so multi-purpose makeup products are a winner. For a highlighter use Bybi’s best-selling babe balm. It’s been all the rage and has been sold out for months on end. Thanks to a blend of copper-bronze mica powders, shea butter, coconut oil and its small in size pot, this nifty little handbag must-have warrants a natural glow for cheeks, lids, lips and collarbones at just an arm’s reach.
7. Multi-use beauty balms are the new must-haves and they’re ideal for the summer getaways. Balm Balm’s Beauty Balm guarantees at least 7 different uses. Packed with essential oils such as rosehip, lavender, rosemary and frankincense, expect to use this balancing formula in more ways than just one. It’s exfoliating, cleansing and moisturising to name just a few and most definitely a holiday must have and an easy and reliable way to switch off from the usual strict beauty regime.
8. A lick of mascara for sundowner cocktails is a joy with Zao’s refillable aloe-vera mascara. Free yourself from plastic packaging (hard to come by for mascaras) and expect intense definition and volume with its nourishing formula that cares for your lashes with organic aloe vera, castor oil and shea butter. All ingredients that promote hair growth too. Winning.
9. Don’t forget to add a flirty pop of colour to cheeks and lips. Ere Perez’s Beetroot Cheek & Lip Tint gives a beautiful cherry red tint to your cheeks and/or lips. Its oil free, vegan formula is derived from the red pigments of organic beetroot and mixed with rosehip extract. If only food could be makeup too.. oh wait…
10. Last but by no means least let’s not forget that beauty comes from within. As much as any product in the world can make us feel and look great, feeling beautiful from within is what really counts. A smile for summer is 100% organic, extremely contagious, naturally, beautiful and environmentally friendly. Enjoy!