A review of G.F. Smith's recycled paper 'Extract'

A review of G.F. Smith's recycled paper 'Extract'

 

by Leah Abraham

 Plátanos con Platino Exhibition Poster.

We use 4,861 disposable cups per minute in the UK. That equates to 7 million cups used in one day. Averaging out as 2.5 billion cups thrown away every year. To try and find ways to tackle this, British paper-maker G.F. Smith have released their recycled paper Extract.  

From Cup to Paper - A dynamic combination of chemistry and artistry transforms disposable cups into beautiful paper.

 

 G . F Smith Show Space. Photo: Guy Archard

G . F Smith Show Space. Photo: Guy Archard

 Extract Swatch. Photo: Red Camera Studio

Extract Swatch. Photo: Red Camera Studio

From disposable cup to beautiful paper, the pioneering paper brand are taking 90% of their waste from each disposable cup, and converting back into FSC certified paper. Partnering with James Cropper’s Cupcycling™, has enabled a unique collaboration between us as consumers, the recycler and the paper maker.

90% of the coffee cup which is paper is recycled. The remaining 10% plastic is then up-cycled.

Every sheet of their Extract paper is composed from at least 5 up-cycled coffee cups. Creating paper with a superior quality makes it suitable for multiple uses. Extract can be printed on, using digital printing technology that minimizes ink waste too.

And it’s not just Extract, that demonstrates  G.F. Smith’s commitment to sustainability; the brand have long adopted an Exact Sheet Policy - meaning that all their paper can be ordered to an exact size, up to a single digit.

 “We believe Extract will kickstart new conversations within the paper industry and help continue to challenge it”

                                                   John Haslam - Joint managing director G.F. Smith

GF-2.gif

 

Extract comes in a range of 10 different colours: From Aqua, to Coral, Flint to Moon, Mustard to Pitch.

More info can be found at Extractwhere you can also order paper samples.

 
KLIMA Open Call by La Peluquería

KLIMA Open Call by La Peluquería

Artist Highlight: Paul Hoi

Artist Highlight: Paul Hoi

0